How much does it cost to study at Barcelona Academy of Art in 2020?
A few days ago, I received this email from an artist:
I’d like to attend Barcelona Academy of Art. The biggest thing for me right now is finances and knowing how much approximately I might need for each year of study. If you can share approximate costs for things such as food, accommodation, materials, transport or any other costs I’m forgetting to mention I’d really appreciate that!
I thought I’d share my response to him here as a resource for art students considering academic training. Since I teach at Barcelona Academy of Art, some of these numbers are specific to Barcelona. The categories, however, would be similar for atelier schools teaching academic drawing, painting, and sculpture around the world.
My rough estimates would go something like this:
- Tuition: Around 3’000€ per trimester.
- Rent: Roughly 300-500€ for a room in a shared flat, 600-900€ for a small flat?
- Food: €100-200 per month depending on your needs/habits?
- Transportation: A 10-trip metro ticket costs 10€.
- Materials: This is the part I know the least about. Any BAA students reading this, could you share how much you spend on materials on average? In the first year, I’d estimate about 20-50€ per month on average. In the digital program, students need Photoshop + Laptop + Graphic Tablet. Oil Painting students in the second or third year will spend a few hundred euros on paint, brushes, canvas, etc. each year. I’m not sure about the cost of sculpture materials.
- Travel & Move/Shipping: Getting yourself and your stuff to Barcelona. Plane tickets and shipping costs. This obviously varies a lot depending on how far you’re traveling and what you’re bringing.
- Entertainment: You might want to visit museums, sights, and go out with other students, etc.
I hope this helps. I’m sure I forgot some important things, so please feel free to add your comments and questions below!
PS. One category I didn’t mention is art books… 😉 Here’s a list of recommended books for artists.