Art Books I recommend
Here are some of the art books that have had the biggest impact on me.
I hope you recognize some of your favorites and find a few new ones!
Books for Beginners
- Fun with a Pencil by Andrew Loomis: http://amzn.to/2jHH3Ua
- Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards: http://amzn.to/2daDQr4
- The Practice & Science of Drawing by Harold Speed: http://amzn.to/2e6fjXX
- Drawing Course by Charles Bargue: http://amzn.to/29bUarm
- How to Draw by Scott Robertson: http://amzn.to/2cnVdFG
- How to Render by Scott Robertson: http://amzn.to/2cTENnl
Books on Design & Drawing From Imagination
- Imaginative Realism by James Gurney: http://amzn.to/1ZOlk9i
- Color & Light by James Gurney: http://amzn.to/1UtvA7m
- Animals Real and Imagined by Terryl Whitlatch: http://amzn.to/25Hip6F
- Principles of Creature Design by Terryl Whitlatch: http://amzn.to/25HipU6
- Drawn to Life by Walt Stanchfield: http://amzn.to/2cYl9dK
- Figure Drawing by Michael Hampton: https://amzn.to/36v6JJ2
Books on Painting
- Oil Painting Materials & Techniques by Harold Speed: http://amzn.to/2fm5K30
- Alla Prima by Richard Schmid: http://amzn.to/1RUIpkD
Books on Composition
- Picture This by Molly Bang: http://amzn.to/1ZLBNLA
- Framed Ink by Marcos Mateu-Mestre: http://amzn.to/1UtvLiZ
- The Power of the Center by Rudolf Arnheim: http://amzn.to/2g3nbpI
- Composition of Outdoor Painting by Edgar Payne: http://amzn.to/22FGBBW
- Creative Illustration by Andrew Loomis: http://amzn.to/2jIAscP
Books on Psychology & Creativity
- The War of Art by Stephen Pressfield: http://amzn.to/1Y1aJGr
- The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron: http://amzn.to/1ZLDdFS
- Mindset by Carol Dweck: http://amzn.to/236mGBR
- The Art of Learning by Josh Waitzkin: http://amzn.to/1SaLsIJ (audiobook)
- The Inner Game of Tennis by Timothy Gallwey: https://amzn.to/3mWoSc6
- The Path of Least Resistance by Robert Fritz: https://amzn.to/2RD7Nbr
Books on Entrepreneurship
- Legal Guide for the Visual Artist by Tad Crawford: http://amzn.to/2kb1VEm
- Anything you Want by Derek Sivers: http://amzn.to/2hdCiOQ
- Antifragile by Nassim Nicolas Taleb: http://amzn.to/2gIjkix
The Lean Startup by Eric Ries: https://amzn.to/2RMKPwO
If you’d like to support my work, you can use the links above to purchase a book. I will get a small commission from Amazon, at no extra cost to you. 🙂
You might try this one, “Figure Drawing Design and Invention” by Michael Hampton, published by Michael Hampton.
Yes! I love that book and we use it at Barcelona Academy of Art! I added it to the list, thanks Jac!
Harold Speeds book is available online at http://www.archive.org Just type in Harold Speed in the search .
Just checked and Andrew Loomis’s book is available also
Nice! Thanks, Heather.